Garden Deco – Poisonous Indoor Plants

Poisonous Indoor Plants

Poisonous Indoor Plants: During the course of evolution. Some plants develop resistance to any kind of attack on them. This attack could be in the form of diseased insects, humans, animals and resistance by plants is found in the form of various chemicals. These chemicals could be something like calcium oxalate and alkaloids. Now you don’t need to worry about the names of these chemicals but what we need to know is that, these chemicals could be toxic to anyone who consume these plants or even touches the sap. 

In this blog, I am going to talk about all such classes of plants. Before we move on, I want to clarify one thing is that, most of the indoor plants that, I am going to talk about, act as an air purifier and by merely keeping them in your home does not make them toxic or poisonous until, they are not consumed by anyone.

Money plant or pothos

First plant which is very commonly found is Pothos or Indian Money plant. The problem with this plant is that, its leaves contains a lot of calcium oxalate. Now this is a crystal with sharp edges. if somebody tends to consume a leaf of this plant, it can harm the gut of a person or may cause blisters and ultimately leads to vomiting. Now its effect can vary from person to person.

Keep this plant away from the reach of children or your animals.

poisonous indoor plants
poisonous indoor lily
Peace lily

 

Peace lily also contains calcium oxalate in leaves. It contains very specific kind of ruffed calcium ions which can cause harm to the living species. It causes diarrhea if leaves are consumed by someone.

English ivy

Next plant in this category is English ivy. This plant contains two toxic components, that can be dangerous to someone and can cause blisters and itchiness if consumed. It not only cause harm on consumption but its sap can also cause irritation and skin problems.

Dieffenbachia indoor
Dieffenbachia

 

Another toxic plant that you would be surprised to know is Dieffenbachia or dumb cane. This plant is known for its beautiful leaves, but the chemicals and the enzymes in this, can cause digestion problems in people. You need to keep this plant away from children and pets.

Snake plant

Next plant which I always call as the hero plant i.e. snake plant. Because it is so easy to maintain and it has great air purifier properties. But this can be extremely toxic for pets, if consumed in great quantity. It can also cause forming in the pets. In such a case, when you are not sure, what to do to cure the patient. It is best to take your pet or your child to a doctor. If your child tries to consume these plants.

snake plant

The first thing you can do is remove it and if you see any of the signs like blisters, irritation, inflammation, general vomiting and diarrhea. It is better that you take your child or pet to the doctor and don’t try to do something at home. Because it is better to concern someone. The idea of this list is to help you to identify what are those plants at home that you can avoid or keep them away from your children or pets.

Philodendron

 

 Other plant which can be toxic for humans and pets is philodendron. This one is actually mildly toxic and it also causes irritation, diarrhea and vomiting if consumed. Most of these plants are irritating if somebody touches the sack.

Grow Children and pet friendly plants

So, one way to avoid all of them is of course not have them at home instead you can have some other children or pet friendly indoor plants like Areca palm, Boston fern, Rubber plant, Haworthia species, Pilea species, Asparagus fern, Grape ivy, Echeveria species, Cast iron plant, Peperomia species, Hoya species, Spider plant, Tradescantia zebrina, Wax plant and African violet.

Poisonous Indoor Plants

Reach out of children or pets

The other way to avoid them is to keep them out of reach. Now you can keep them on some height or you can hang them in hangers. For example, I don’t want to let go of my pothos. Because I really like these hanging trailing plants. So, one way is that you keep it out of reach of pets and children. Also, side effect of these plants depends on, how much they consumed. Generally, the amount of toxicity in these plants is too low, if it is just a leaf or two but, if somebody has consumed several leaves, then it is best to consult a doctor.

Lastly, I would like to say that don’t be afraid, because there are no reported deaths from these poisonous indoor plants. I do research work on how these are poisonous and how they are toxic. That’s the reason of making this blog. It is okay, to have plants like this. Just keep them away of children or pets. Actually, they are beautiful you must have them. They do a great job of purifying the air. So, there is nothing to be scared from these plants.