Kitchen garden at home.
Kitchen garden at home: Kitchen garden is mainly established for supply of fresh vegetables throughout the year for family use. Different types of vegetables are grown in garden for getting a variety of vegetables. Vegetables which are grown in garden are according to the choice and needs of the family. It’s very important to have a healthy diet to stay healthy. Vegetables play a big role for maintaining many body functions specially for growing, energy and resistance against diseases.
Organic produce is getting pricey every day and everyone wants to eat healthy, especially in this Covid-19 pandemic situation everyone tried to grow vegetables at their home. As, to avoid to going outside. It’s not a tedious job as it sounds.
Here I am Coming up with a blog, especially designed for beginners. People who wants to start gardening but do not know how to go about it. Now, I am going walk you through the entire process for how to make a kitchen garden.
Size and Selection of kitchen garden at home.
Due to shortage of land in homes. Generally, a kitchen garden is established in either backyard or frontyard of the house near the water source. Area must be receiving plenty of sunlight.
Availability of land, number of persons in family and spare time available for its care are the parameters for determining the size and shape of vegetables. For five family members, nearly (200 M2) is enough to provide vegetables throughout year for a family. A plot with rectangular shape is preferred to a square plot or a long strip of land.
Selection of crops and layout plan of garden are varying according to seasons and depends on agro-climatic conditions prevailing in the area. Modifications are to be done in layout and crop allotment with the climatic and seasonal changes. General principles to be followed in the layout are follows:
- In summer season, layout of the plots is from north to south direction but in winter season it gets slightly tilted to north-east to south-west directions.
- To avoid the interference with intercultural operations. That’s why perennial vegetables such as drumstick, curry leaf and bilimbi should be allotted to one side of the garden. Water leaf that is shade loving vegetable must be planted in perennial plot. For effective utilization of farm / kitchen waste, compost pits must be provided on one corner of kitchen
Some other Kitchen gardening tips at home.
- With the help of barbed wire or live stakes fences on all sides of the garden must be done. Planting of chekkurmanis, ivy gourd, dolichos bean, trailing cowpea and ridge gourd is around the fence Planting of agathi (Sesbania grandiflora) at 1.0 m. distance along the fence for making the fence stronger. At entry point or gate of kitchen garden, an arch made of red or green Basella may be erected.
- Remaining portion is divided into 6-10 equal plots for raising annual vegetable crops, after allotting areas for perennial crops.
- Three annual crops can be raised in the same plot to follow the scientific crop rotation.
- For effective utilization of space cropping pattern such as companion cropping or accession cropping, inter cropping and mixed cropping can be adopted
- Walking path must be proided at centre as well as along four sides. Planting of red and green amaranth or indeterminate tomato on either side makes the path more attractive.
Root and tuber crops must be grown on ridges.
- As intensive and continuous cropping is done in a kitchen garden, for maintaining the fertility and texture of soil, application of adequate quantity of organic manure is done frequently.
- It’s better for your family if we adopt Organic farming in kitchen or home garden. Chemical fertilizers are also essential, in order tto harvest good crop
- Always follow these measures such as clean cultivation, mechanical removal of pest / disease affected plants, planting of resistant varieties, biological control, use of bio-pesticides or bio-fungicides for pest and disease control in a kitchen
- In order to prevent the same type of vegetables in glut, preference should be given to long duration and steady yielding varieties than high yielding ones, which require constant
- In continuous cropping principles such as crop rotation also should be
- For ensuring adequate pollination of crops bee-hive may also be provided
- Model kitchen garden is furnished below. Likes and dislikes of family members must be taken into consideration while selection of crops.
Benefits of the Kitchen Garden at home -
- Grow healthy and fresh vegetables yourself
- Cost saving for buying vegetables
- Household waste such as sweepings, kitchen scraps and
dirty water can be recycled onto the garden
- Wasteland can be utilized properly
- Family members work collectively in their free time
Cropping pattern in a kitchen garden throughout year Annual crops
May-June to September-October
Pumpkin,Bitter gourd, Brinjal, Chilli, Ash gourd, Bushy / semi-trailing cowpea, Okra,
September – October to December-January
Ash gourd, Yard long bean, Pumpkin, Tomato, Okra.
December-January to May-June
Yard long bean, Snake gourd, Okra, Amaranth, Cucumber, Chilli / brinjal,
curly leaf, Drumstick, bilimbi, culinary banana.
Inter-crops in perennial plots
Vegetables; yams, Taro, elephant foot yam, Chinese potato,
tapioca water leaf.
Spices: turmeric, Perennial chilli, ginger, mango ginger.
Border of walking paths
bush cowpea, Amaranth, bush dolichos bean.
winged bean, giant granadilla, Sword bean, Ridge gourd, yard long bean.
Note : Vegetables that are easy to grow at home : Cucurbits, beans, spinach, potatoes, tomatoes, okra, eggplant, onions, peas and chillies etc.