How to landscape small area
How to landscape small area: Plants in the landscape fill important psychological needs; for example, the color green has a calming effect on the people. Living plants promote human health and help to overcome the stress of everyday living, so we need for attractive landscapes is increasing continually. In this blog I will discuss the reasons why people landscape.
Landscaping definitely creates a more beautiful environment can be created by landscaping, that can be enjoyed by family members and by the people in parks. Landscaping can dramatically enhance the property value in a specific neighborhood.
Elements of Landscape small area design
- Red, yellow, oranges give feelings of warmth.
- Blue and green gives a cooling effect.
- Sources can be flowers, leaves and bark.
- Physically can be felt
- Visual surface characters can project different images to the observer because they create smooth or course feelings.
- Bark but also different inanimate objects such as mulch, stones, gravel, brick and others.
- Should be no abrupt changes from coarse to fine in the landscape.
- Can be round, weeping, horizontal, spreading, pyramidal and many more.
- Lines can be straight, but do not always have to be straight or continuous.
- Can also be contoured or curvilinear to create interesting design.
Purposes of how to landscaping small area
- It enhances the property value.
- Reduces noise, act as buffer.
- Helps buildings and other structures blend into terrain.
- Used to screen unsightly areas.
- Provides privacy.
- Prevent erosion, reduces pollution.
- May be used to control people and vehicle traffic.
- Can reduce damage and injury
Principles of Landscape small area design
- It uses a number of strategies to reduce high levels of variation and general distraction in the landscaping. Because design should be quite simple. Similarly complex designs should not be adopted.
- To show uniformity, we have to use equal weight of the elements of design.
- Another type of balance is asymmetrical balance, for instance which is when different number of plants are on both sides of a landscape.
- To establish the relationship between the sizes of the different types of plants used in a landscape design, it indicates the landscape design i.e. proportion. For example, taller trees should not hide a small house.
- Things such as fountains, sculptures and exotic plants etc., the landscape architect does not want them to miss. These things are covered under the focalization.
- Another reason for the use of focalization is to redirect the viewers attention from an unattractive location in the landscape.
Rhythm and Line
- Different sections in the landscape must be linked to create a movement throughout the design.
- Planting bed shape, bed orientation and heights and shapes of plant materials and inanimate objects in the landscape have a profound effect on the rhythm and line.
- All parts of the landscape, including the landscape wall, ceiling and floor, must fit together without being forced.
Types of Landscaping small area
- Home landscaping
- Public area Landscaping
- Common landscaping
- Specialty site landscaping
- Landscape architect- establishes design plan for plants and hardscaping.
- Landscape contractor- It maintains landscape and implements plan accordingly.
Planning of how to landscape small area
There should be complete planning of building and garden. Both should be considered as a unit of each other. Plan should be conceived in totality and thoughts should not be given in pieces. Three-dimensional approach with all facets, factors and considerations must be given.
First of all, paper plan according to scale should be made. Requirements such as patio for outdoor living, space for drying clothing’s, beds for cut flowers and place of pet etc. should be accommodated on paper plan Total area can be divided into three functional units i.e.
Approach or public area:It comprises of front area, drive way and porch. If area permits, this can accommodate grassy lawn, flowering trees, shrubs and climbers. To break the monotony of straight wall, curves should be given while planting trees, shrubs and flower bed. The planting of bottle brush or weeping willow with its hanging branches near the gate will act as symbol of welcoming to the visitors.
Service area:This area is comprised of a kitchen garden, garage, badminton court, animal, poultry shed etc. Fruit trees like papaya, guava, baramasi lime etc. vegetable and cut flowers are accommodated in this area. The area should be separated from private area by planting shrubs in the row or hedges. A path studded with stones to and through kitchen garden is required.
Private garden area:This area is known as outdoor living area. It should be designed according to the taste and need of individual family. The area should be screened off from undesirable sites by planting shrubs or hedge to have complete privacy. Grassy lawn adds beauty to this area. The design of garden, i.e. formal or informal should be decided so that mason work in garden can also be done. The concept of gardening in houses depends upon the plot size and area available for making gardens.
Note: You must adopt informal style of landscaping in your garden, but if you have enough space in the backyard then you have to go for formal style of gardening.